Personal Injury – Book a Free Consultation with a Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been hurt due to someone else’s negligence, please complete the form below or call 514-288-1114 for a free consultation.
Slip and Fall
Who is responsible for a personal injury resulting from a slip and fall accident?
Property owners have a responsibility to keep their premises safe and secure, or at minimum warn customers of the dangerous condition of which the owner caused, knew or should have known about. If you have suffered an injury due to a fall on a dangerous floor, a flight of stairs, a rough patch of ground, or an icy, slippery surface, the property owner may be legally responsible for the accident.
Who is responsible for an injury resulting from an animal attack?
An unrestrained dog that attacks children or adults can cause catastrophic injuries. In most cases the dog owner will be financially responsible when they have not taken necessary steps to restrain or supervise their dog.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I have a personal injury case?
If you have been injured due to someone else's negligence or wrongdoing, you may have a personal injury case. The best way to find out is to consult with a personal injury lawyer who can evaluate your case and advise you on your legal options.
How do I find the best personal injury lawyer for my case?
Finding the best personal injury lawyer for your case can be a daunting task, but there are a few things you can do to make the process easier:
- Look for experience: Choose a lawyer who has experience handling cases similar to yours. They should have a successful track record of obtaining compensation for their clients.
- Check their reputation: Research the lawyer's reputation online by reading reviews from past clients, checking their rating on legal directories, and verifying their credentials with the bar association.
- Consider the lawyer's availability: Make sure that the lawyer has the time and resources to devote to your case. You want a lawyer who is responsive to your calls and emails and who will keep you informed about the progress of your case.
- Schedule a consultation: Most personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation. Take advantage of this opportunity to ask questions, discuss your case, and determine if the lawyer and law firm are a good fit for you.
- Evaluate their fees: Ask about the lawyer's fees and how they will be calculated. Make sure you understand how much you will be charged and when payment is due.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?
In Quebec, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally three years from the date of the accident or injury. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, so it's important to speak with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that you don't miss any important deadlines.
What damages can I recover in a personal injury case?
The damages that you can recover in a personal injury case will depend on the specific facts of your case. Generally, you may be able to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages that you have incurred as a result of your injury.
How much will it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer?
Typically, personal injury lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, where they only receive payment if they successfully recover compensation on behalf of their clients. At Annette Lefebvre Avocats, we also work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we only receive payment if we secure compensation for you.
How do most personal injury cases get resolved in Quebec?
Most personal injury cases in Quebec are resolved through a settlement between the injured party and the responsible party or their insurance company. In some cases, the parties may agree to participate in mediation or another form of alternative dispute resolution to help reach a settlement.
If a settlement cannot be reached, the case may proceed to trial, where a judge will decide the outcome of the case.